Chilean Food

I think its very interesting way how soil really impacts the wine in Chile and really represents the different regions Chile has to offer. It's also pretty cool that Chileans got the grapes for their wine from France, but they redevelop it due to their soil and regions. This also reflects in Anthony Bourdains videos. There, he goes into a variety of places and experienced a ton of unique types of foods and flavors. One, he tried cow hoof (How, what, why?). If someone offered me cows hoof, lets say at my host family's house I would:
1. Try to explain to them I am vegan. If they understand that's great, if not I would say I'm full.
2. Just say that you are not hungry or do not feel that good.
3. Have some on your plate, but don't eat it.
This is really hard for me.

 Even in the US I feel like a bother to people due to my dietary wants/needs. So, in Chile, I'm scared. He also drank a lot of different types of beers and wines in Chile. Plus, the fact that coffee really wasn't a big thing in Chile until the 50's is pretty crazy to think about, but makes sense due to them feeling separated from the rest of the world. Which, I am so excited to try! I love coffee and I can't wait to drink all different unique kinds that Chile has. I also like poutine, so if a restaurant or my host family could make me a vegan version of the Chorillana that would be so good! (Both eating wise and nice-wise.)

 Food is my favorite, but also I'm terrified by it. I am vegan, I'm pretty terrified to see what little vegan options there will be there. There's a lot of fish and meat there, not as much dairy, thank god.  I'm not the biggest fan of avocados, but I hope that I have them in certain dishes in Chile that makes them taste better in the US.

Comments

  1. Allie! I am kind of the opposite when it comes to food, I am not picky and usually open to trying just about anything at least once, but if I had a restrictive diet, I would also be very nervous going somewhere where I wasn't comfortable with the food. I commend you for being brave enough to go to Chile where the diet sounds very different from what you normally eat,but being willing to make it work and finding things about it that suits you, such as the coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sooo excited to try the wine there because it is so highly spoken of! I also agree with the cow hoof! I thought that was so strange. Those are great ideas that I hadn't even thought of to say/do when you don't want to eat a certain food dish! I would not worry about feeling like a bother with your dietary needs! I think it is so amazing that you're a vegan because that takes a lot of discipline! Be proud of that! Never feel bad! I'm sure you will be ok in Chile and everyone will help you with your dietary needs! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts